A Welsh mummy's fashion and lifestyle blog. From high heels to hounds and everything in between!

BREASTFEEDING A TODDLER


1st - 7th August is World Breastfeeding Week, celebrated in more than 170 countries every year.

I am a proud breast feeding mumma! When I was pregnant I hoped I would be able to breast feed but wasn't going to put pressure on myself if I couldn't.  As Harriet turns 2 this month and we are still  nursing, I think it is important to write this post. 


Most people who find out I'm still nursing my toddler are sadly shocked and some even horrified.  She has teeth!  You're doing it for you not her.  You need to tell her no.  Sadly this is what I hear day in day out.


Even though I was happy and ready to stop nursing when she turned one, Harriet had other ideas.  Not interested in dummies or comforters, I was always and still am her comfort.  When she is hurt, scared, tired, upset, poorly, breast feeding works wonders.  Through sleepless nights of teething and more recently with colds and viral infections, when she's too poorly to eat, thank god I've got boobs. Yes sometimes, when it's bed time and she will only fall asleep whilst nursing, I think have I made a rod for my own back?  But she is two not twenty two, her needs will change.  She will grow out of it like she's grown out of baby toys, like children grow out of using nappies.  I think a lot of people forget she is still very young, still solely dependent on me.  Yes her speech is excellent for her age and she can have quite the conversation with you, but she still gets scared, frustrated, tired.  Toddlers feed for many of the same reasons as infants: nutrition, security, comfort and reassurance.  Even the World Health Organization and UNICEF recommend that babies be breastfed for at least two years.

Some say that a breastfeeding toddler will have difficulty becoming independent.  My child is the most independent little girl you've ever met.  She is confident around her peers and adults, she makes friends easily and is quite happy to be left at nursery or with grandparents.  She sleeps all night and eats a balanced diet.  Does she sometimes mess about and want 'boobie' because I've said no to something, or told her off or because she's trying to avoid bedtime?  Yes.  But this is all part of learning.  She is starting to understand boundaries and how to push them.  Her personality is blossoming and with that comes testing times.  It doesn't mean I stop nursing her, this is when she needs reassurance and familiarity


I am also asked constantly when am I going to stop.  Although I am ready and have been for quite a while, she still feels she needs it and whilst she wants to nurse it is fine by me.  Some mums chose not to or couldn't breast feed, some only nursed for a few weeks and some for a few months, and you know what?  That's ok too.  You have to do what is right for you, your needs and your babies. 

But for those that are doing extended nursing... in this modern world where children grow up too quickly, I say to you all; relish this time.  Who cares what anyone else says?  It's your body, your baby and there's no right or wrong.

Just keep on boobing

Victoria
xx

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig