A Welsh mummy's fashion and lifestyle blog. From high heels to hounds and everything in between!

ACTIVITIES AND ADVENTURE


Over the last couple of months I have discovered some fantastic places.  Some I have enjoyed with Harriet and others Nathan and I have enjoyed on our own with the hounds. 

Brecon Beacons 4 Waterfalls Trail (near Ystradfellte) 


On a sunny Thursday in May, Nathan myself and the dogs set off to discover some of the most beautiful waterfalls in the world that are right on our doorstep.  The four falls trail can be found within the Fforest Fawr, which grows in the stunning rolling hills of the Brecon Beacons national park.  We parked at Gwaun Hepste Car Park but Cwm Porth car park is a little closer to the start of the trail.  The car parks are pay and display and I've been told wardens do visit frequently so best to be safe than sorry. 

From the minute you start this trail it's magical.  From the forest on either side of you to reaching the first waterfall, Sgwd Clun-Gwyn, I felt like I was a child all over again.  Bounding along with the hounds, excited as soon as I started to hear the roar of the fall.  (Famous Five eat your heart out!) From this we then headed to Sgwd Isaf Clun-Gwyn and then Sgwd y Pannwr.  We decided at this point to leave the main path and test our rock climbing skills and climb up the bloody rocks! As I constantly remind my husband, he is six foot two, climbing up rocks isn't that difficult when your legs reach the sky.  Me on the other hand; being just over five foot I need lifting over a large branch on the floor I'm so short!!!  But I prevailed and the dogs loved it and even though my muscles were burning like I had just completed ten thousand burpees, we got to the top!  We then sensibly followed the path to the final and most photographed waterfall, Sgwd yr Eira.  This epic waterfall is the stuff of movies, you can even walk behind the curtain of thundering water.  I could have stayed here for hours, it was magical. 


The walk itself is around five and a half miles and should take around 3 or 4 hours, more if you want to stop and soak up the natural beauty of the place.  As usual Nathan and I were on a tight schedule, and we managed the walk in just under two hours.  We walk ridiculously fast and the dogs are twice our speed!  We will definitely visit again and take more time, take more pictures and I can't wait to take Harriet when she's a little older!




The Stepping Stones at Ogmore Castle



We visit Merthyr Mawr sand dunes and Ogmore beach fairly regularly with Harriet and the hounds but we decided to visit the stepping stones on one occasion. 

The stones were originally in place instead of the Merthyr Mawr suspension bridge but when this was built, the stones were taken and placed near Ogmore Castle, where they remain today. Along with their original name: Stepsau Teilo.

You can park next to the castle, head over the stones and continue on your walk.  We just wanted to do the stones and then we drove to the beach.  Such fun and a little scary, I'm glad Nathan was holding on to Harriet however Buster and Harry bounded across barging other walkers as they went.  I would say get there early.  It's an awfully long wait if there's a queue both sides!



Gruffalo Trail Mountain View Ranch

Silly old thing, doesn't he know ~ there's no such thing as a Gruffalo?!

A couple of months ago on a crisp, Spring afternoon, Harriet and I headed to Mountain View Ranch in Caerphilly to the toddler afternoon Gruffalo story.  I was pleased that the trail was buggy friendly and the wolf storyteller captivated his audience straight away.  What fun we had listening to the story and seeing the willow characters, it really brought the story to life.  

After the story had finished, we visited the pygmy goats.  I grabbed a coffee in the immaculate café and headed out to the adventure play area.  Harriet played for ages and I literally had to drag her kicking and screaming back to the car!  She did not want to leave but we only had a couple of hours free.  I cannot wait to visit again in the summer.   There is over one hundred acres to explore including a badger wood, indian village and fairy forest.  Not to mention tree houses, tree swings and a zip wire for the older children.  Such a fantastic setting and lovely for the children to be outside running free.  If you haven't visited then this place should certainly be on your list!

Over the next few weeks I have more adventures planned.  I don't think the building work will ever get finished at home seeing as I keep dragging everyone off somewhere new every weekend but it wears Harriet and the dogs out and that's all that matters!

Victoria
xx

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig