A Welsh mummy's fashion and lifestyle blog. From high heels to hounds and everything in between!

FRIENDSHIP, MEMORIES AND MADRID




With mixed emotions and heavy heart I headed off to Madrid for a hen party on Friday.  As excited as I was to celebrate and party with one of my oldest friends, leaving Harriet for the first time was extremely difficult.  At 18 months the longest I have left her is just over 24 hours and that was only once.  So to go away for four days, even though I was leaving her in the hands of Daddy and both sets of grandparents who are perfectly capable, it still left me in a panic.  Harriet is still breast fed, she would never take a dummy or a bottle, I am her comforter.  What if she woke in the night screaming and wouldn't settle without me?  What if my milk dries up?  What if she forgets me?  (Ok I agree the last one is slightly ridiculous but as a first time mum all of these crazy things swim around your head).  So with a list longer than her, and outfits laid out for every day plus emergency outfits, I left knowing that Spain is only 2 hours away and I could jump on any plane to the UK if I had to.

Meeting a group of girls for the first time can sometimes be daunting especially knowing you have to spend the next four days with these women in very close proximity.  A couple were close friends, some I haven't seen since school and some were complete strangers.  However we all hit it off straight away and from the moment I stepped into the airport lounge and saw the Prosecco was already flowing, I just knew we were going to have a good time.





Our apartment which slept 12 was situated on Calle Toledo in the central neighbourhood of La Latina. Most of Madrids important landmarks are within walking distance of this vibrant area and it has the highest concentration of tapas bars.  Nightlife in La Latina has more of an artistic and fashionable flair.  On Sunday's it is home to El Rastro, the world famous flea market.   This area is uber trendy (think Shoreditch).  Pretty tapas bars and trendy cocktail bars make this area a foodies paradise.



March is a difficult time of year, yes it's hotter than Wales (isn't everywhere?) but it can still be chilly.  My staples through out this break have been a leather jacket, nude flats and a fairly neutral cross body bag.  Nearly every item of clothing can be paired with one or all three of these items.  Flats are great for the amount of walking you do whilst away and nude goes with everything.  A leather jacket can toughen up or dress down any clothing.  It's warm enough for this time of year but easy to fling over your shoulders if the sun makes an appearance.  If you are planning a city break then I would seriously invest in a good pair of smart flats.  But make sure you wear them before you go, there's nothing worse than having to spend a lot of time walking with red raw blistered feet.





One of the highlights was an hour Flamenco lesson with Sara Martin Flamenco on Calle Santa Isabel.  The dance studio is above a market, totally raw and authentic.  The beautiful Maria taught us a routine.  It was hard work and difficult but such fun, we practised our moves that evening in the clubs (yes we did, we thought we were amazing after a few cocktails).  At the end she demonstrated her own dancing skills.  The passion and talent that she had was mesmerising, enchanting. It was beautiful to watch.  If you are thinking of a weekend away in Madrid, it is definitely worth booking this.




During this trip we ate, drank and gossiped the nights away.  Tapas, Paella, Sangria, we devoured the local food and drink.  I would name every restaurant and bar we visited but there are so many you will never struggle to find something delicious.

I left Madrid excited to see my beautiful girl and family and happy that the hen had had a fabulous time.  But I also felt grateful.  Grateful for the new friendships I've formed.  These beautiful, intelligent young women have made me laugh, shared secrets, shared hints and tips for all aspects of our lives, shown generosity and most importantly of all inspired me.



Thank you for the amazing memories ladies. Thank you for the super distracting What's App group that I am constantly on, thank you to the beautiful bride to be, thanks to Ally and Claire who organised practically everything.  I raise a glass to you all.  Here's to the wedding....



Victoria
xx

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig